Monday, June 11, 2012
Report: Tardy container deliveries not just from late-arriving ships
Late container deliveries for the year to date have not just been the result of ships arriving behind schedule, but have also resulted from other non-vessel operations factors, according to a schedule reliability report.
SeaIntel Maritime Analysis’ monthly database that the industry trend firm claims tracks all cargo vessels transiting deep-sea routes found 79.1 percent of ship arrivals where on time for the year to date within a day on either side.
SeaIntel also reported that data culled from the online cargo-booking firm INTTRA’s database of 800,000 container status messages per day showed containers are delivered on time at a rate of 64.7 percent within the same one-day parameters.
“From this we see that the majority of late deliveries are due to the vessels being late – but only just,” according to SeaIntel’s report.
“The numbers show that 59 percent of late container deliveries are due to the vessels not being on time, however the remaining 41 percent will have been delayed due to other factors such as missed transshipments, rolled containers, gate-in too late etc.,” the report said.
“This shows that in order for the industry to improve reliability in the supply chain, almost as much focus need to be awarded to the processes around the shipment as to the actual operations of the vessels themselves,” SeaIntel said.
More Newswire stories
China’s May trade data far exceeds projections
USMX to attend ILA wage scale meetings later this month
Russian billionaire’s ship suspected of carrying weapons to Syria
Today's Cargo News Archives